Patrick Delany

Decrease font size
Increase font size
Print this page
Home > About > History > Past Archbishop > Patrick Delany

Patrick Delany (1907 - 1926)

Born at Tonacar, Co Galway, Ireland, on 1st February 1853.  After studies at All Hallows, Dublin, and St. Sulpice, Paris, he was ordained a priest in 1879. 

In 1885 he was appointed secretary to Bishop Moore of Ballarat.   On 10th December 1893, he was consecrated coadjutor Bishop of Hobart and was consecrated titular bishop of Laranda.

On Archbishop Murphy’s death in 1907 he succeeded to the See. The development of Catholic education was one of his chief concerns.

He was a scholarly man, proficient in history and languages.  In March 1908 he arranged for the Christian Brothers to come from Ireland to take over the partly built St Virgil's College in Hobart. It was with his support that the Christian Brothers came to Launceston to establish St Patrick's College in York Street in 1919.  In 1923, he took the first steps to invite the Sisters of the Little Company of Mary to Hobart.  

Delany died on 7 May 1926 at Hobart and was buried in St Mary's Cathedral. In 1928 a statue to his memory was erected by the priests of the Archdiocese at Mount St Canice Convent, Sandy Bay